Helping People in Need
Everyone needs essential water and sewer services. We understand that people sometimes have financial difficulties. If you're having trouble paying your bill or connecting to services, here are a few programs we offer.
The Beaufort-Jasper Water and Sewer Authority's (BJWSA) new hardship fund is designed for customers in crisis - those with extenuating circumstances who could be in danger of disconnection of their water and/or sewer services.
BJWSA is collaborating with the United Way of the Lowcountry to facilitate the eligibility and assistance process.
The following general guidelines have been established for the fund:
- Recipient must be a BJWSA customer in Beaufort or Jasper counties.
- Only the primary account holder can apply for assistance, unless there is a Power of Attorney or other legal document stating otherwise.
- Customers must have at least three months of service history with BJWSA.
- The fund can pay up to 90% of covered charges.
- The fund can be used for water and sewer consumption, penalties, delinquent fees, service charge, solid waste and recycling charge.
- Assistance cannot be applied to tampering fees, overdraft, same day service or trip charges.
- There is a three business-day turnaround for pledges.
- Customers who meet the hardship criteria may contact a BJWSA customer service representative at 843-987-9200. Referrals for this program are made through BJWSA.
Thad Coleman Fund
The Thad Coleman Fund offers a helping hand to Beaufort and Jasper County families faced with financial hardship, helping them pay the costs to connect to the BJWSA public water and sewer system. It is funded through BJWSA and participating customers throughout our service area.
Juanita White Fund
The Juanita White Fund is dedicated specifically to residents of the historic Levy-Limehouse Bellinger Hill area of Jasper County. This fund assists with connection fees and is administered in the same manner as the Thad Coleman Fund.